Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cincinnati, OH

Sorry, for the lack of updates. As I said before, when I am visiting friends on the weekend it is hard to find time to post.

I had a great time in Louisville. I was "staying" with Mike, a friend of mine from Germany who is at Ft. Knox for the Captains Career Course, in Radcliff--right outside the Ft. Knox gates; however, every night we ended up sleeping at Brandon's place (another Army friend from Germany) who has a great apartment in downtown Louisville. Also got to see Josh and Tom (also there for CCC), Tom and Britt cooked us a great dinner and had us all over Saturday evening; which was a nice way to follow our fiercely competitive Mini Golf Game, which I lost savagely after hitting my ball into the water and diving in after it--it was a good excuse to escape the brutal Louisville heat.

Saturday night I met up with a group from Cincinnati who had come down for Hullabalou--a big concert at Churchill Downs (site of the Kentucky Derby). They invited me to join them for the concert on Sunday and to give me a ride to Cincinnati. I almost declined, so that I could stay on schedule and continue bicycling in this savage heat. But, then I came to my senses and realized I was horribly confused if I was prioritizing riding my bike over a fun event like this. This trip was never about riding a bike; it is about seeing the country, visiting old friends, and meeting new ones all over the place. I guess at some point in the 200+ hours of pedaling I got confused.

So, I met up with them at the concert. They had great reserved seats at the main stage that they snuck me into (where the below video was taken). It was a great show and a lot off fun, definitely much much better than riding my bike on a hot Kentucky Day. They all had to work on Monday (ahhh, the advantages of being unemployed, uninsured, and homeless! Makes people jealous!), so we drove to Cincinnati that night, and then I drove back Monday afternoon to collect my bike and stuff from Mike's place.

Now I am in Cincinnati preparing to continue on to the East Coast.

1 comment:

  1. I wondered if the humidity and 100 degrees would soften your resolve; but you are well positioned for the Amish country and racing buggies. Perhaps at the end you will tack a bit on and make it all the way to Maine, one corner of the country to the other.

    ReplyDelete