Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 6: Afternoon Report

I left the park I was sitting in at Glenns Ferry at 3 pm, during heat of the day, to ride the 19 miles into Bliss where I hoped to find an air conditioned building to wait until evening in. Hoping to stay off of I-84 I followed some back-roads that followed the Snake river. I wondered the back country roads before finally finding Black Mesa road, which looked like it would take me east to Bliss. It didn't. It ended at the bottom of a massive black cliff, which I guess is the edge of black Mesa.

I asked a nearby farmer for directions and he gave me two options: follow a dirt trail the loops South into the desert about 10 miles before it loops back north to Bliss. Or back track about 5 miles to where I can get on I-84 and take it up to Bliss. Neither sounded good to me, so I rode as close as I could get to I-84 and then carried my bike a few hundred meters across the desert, jumped the barbwire fence and got on the interstate and followed that to Bliss.

Obviously I was a little disappointed when I finally arrived in Bliss and found out how small it was. So I continued on down the road 10 miles to Hangerman where I found a nice bar to sit down in to rest.

While there I met Rich from Mid-South Combat Ranges; once I told him of the trip I am doing he introduced me to his friends Jill and Jane who run Miracle Hot Springs RV park just down the road. They called Fey who was working there that night and hooked me up with a place to sleep and a swim in their pool. The hot springs felt great after a long day on the road and I got a great sleep. So, big thanks to Rich, Jill, Jane, and Fey!

No comments:

Post a Comment