Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 17: Hill City, KS

Taking my afternoon break here in Hill City. I saw that Hill City had a Pizza Hut, so I pushed it pretty hard for the 66 miles to here to make it in time for the lunch buffet.

After I left Sheridan county and entered Graham county the terrain got a lot more hilly and there was less farms and more ranches. The hills were pretty brutal, it was a lot more humid in the valleys, without much of a breeze to cool you down on the climb up while the sun was blazing down on you. Plus, I was pushing pretty hard to make that buffet.

Got to the Hill City Pizza Hut at 12:55, just in time for the buffet. Unfortunately, they don't do the lunch buffet in Hill City, so I am sitting at a local sandwich shop to cool down before I continue on 44 miles to end the day around Plainville.

The distances worked out well today, so I could follow my model strategy of doing 50%-70% of my daily distance in the morning, then taking a long break before continuing on at a slower pace to finish the day. Only thing missing today was the buffet.

3 comments:

  1. Notice how every paragraph has the word "buffet" in it. Lots of calories is becoming steadily more important to me, especially with this heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lincoln, Kansas (68 miles from Plainville, en route to Ft Riley) has a Pizza Hut and just confirmed that yes they have a lunch buffet 11:30am to 1 pm ...
    1026 N 6th St
    Lincoln, KS 67455
    (785) 524-4462

    ReplyDelete
  3. let's just say you've exceeded my expectations. not too bad my friend...

    ReplyDelete