Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 16: Colby, KS

Just arrived in Colby; its the largest city in Kansas so far, and the largest city in Thomas county (which I just entered), population: 5,450. It is wheat harvest time here in Kansas, which makes for an exciting time with combines, grain elevators, and trucks carrying wheat all very active.

Everyone I talk to is really friendly, and a lot more cars wave to me then has been the case in other states. But, everyone I talk to is in agreement that I am crazy to be out riding in 105 degree temperatures--it is hot to be out on a combine let alone riding a bike!

I had hoped to get a dip in at the Colby City pool, unfortunately it closed at 6 and I arrived at 8 (central time now!). I am currently sitting in the adjacent city park contemplating jumping the fence for a quick dip to wash the sweat and salt off of me. All ready scouted it out and see no cameras, so probably will go for it in a bit.

Anyways, I managed 100 miles today fairly easily, and finished my second time zone. I am expecting to reach Topeka on Friday, after stopping at Ft. Riley for lunch and visiting 1-18 IN (my battalion in 2007).

Time for a covert swim!

No comments:

Post a Comment