Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 24: Across the Mississippi

I stopped at a bike shop this morning to get a new chain and some services done. Bike shops are fun, as a solo cross country biker I am considered very cool and elite. They also can comprehend what I am doing, where as most people can't conceptualize a bike trip of this magnitude.

The folks in the shop also ask all sorts of questions hoping to learn from my sage biking wisdom; questions like, "how are those XT derailleurs working for you?" Sadly I am no bicyclist, even after having bike 2,500 miles, and don't know what these various parts are. So, the trip to the bike shop becomes this stressful dance where I try to answer their questions well avoiding being found out as a fraud...because I am sure, as serious bicyclists, they would be extremely offended to learn that a non-bicyclist is doing their ambitious dream trip.

Made it out of St. Louis after the standard difficulties involved in escaping a big city. A little ways out a storm caught me and rained on me for a couple hours. That passed and I got all dried off during the next few hours of riding, and then as I was coming into Mt. Vernon, IL it started raining again :(. Now, I am sitting under the overhang a Sonic hoping it will pass; I got no problem with storms during the day, but getting wet right before I go to bed is not acceptable...raining while I sleep is fine to, as long as I am dry when I get in my bag.

3 comments:

  1. So how far around East St Louis did you go? I spent some time in Ft Leonard Wood, the work was then that my light complexion would be very out of place. And a friend work near he was careful there as well.
    Bike shop must have been interesting, I bet Lance Armstrong doesn't work on his own bike. But you do need to oil the chain, frequently; makes for easier peddling and stuff lasts longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went around the Northside of horseshoe lake/state park and then cut South to Silo and Scott AFB. Cut through Scott AFB, mostly just to see the air force gate guards reaction to seeing/saluting a Captain with a full beard. The guys at the shop recommended some chain lube, so I am carrying/using that now. Definitely needed it a long time ago, but never bothered stopping to get some. My chain/gears were grinding pretty loud going across Missouri, now everything is smooth and silent again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When a chain wears it stretches, then the cogs on the wheel don't match up with the chain. Result is the gears wear out, the chain will slip when you put some torque on it. None of which is pleasant.

    Got a brother in law who lives in Beaver Falls Pen (north of Pittsburgh about 30 miles). If your looking for a spot there, your Mom knows how get in touch with me..

    The Amish country will be enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete