Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 7 End

As I was leaving Twin Falls I had my first flat of the trip. Not sure what got me, but as I was replacing it I managed to break the valve stem; fortunately Twin Falls has a bike shop, so I hitched a ride back into town and had them replace the tube and picked up a new spare. I continued on and made it out past Burley to Declo before night hit.

My sleep plan for the trip can be summed up in one word: Hobo. I got my Army sleep system; and my only standards for a place to sleep is it is not in water, on a paved road, or close to large/dangerous animals of some sort. So far I have slept at a highway rest area, 5 meters off the edge of a highway, a cemetery (hey there was a severe storm, so it was am emergency!), and now I am currently laying in the field behind the Declo High School. I imagine at some point I will get in trouble for my selection of sleep location, but then I will get to have fun trying to talk my way out of it!

One rule of hobo sleeping I have managed to deduce before learning it the hard way: when sleeping on lawns, check if the grass is wet, if it is: good to go, if not you may get hit by the sprinkler system during the night! My grassy bed is, of course, appropriately moist tonight.

By the way, why does Delco have a high school? Not only that, it has a large elementary and junior high school as well! This is a population 338 town! All 338 could easily fit into any one of the 3 schools! Plus, Burley has a population of several thousand and is only 7 miles away. Is Delco the Oxford of south central Idaho or something?

No comments:

Post a Comment