Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 11: End

Didn't quite make it to Maybell tonight--I stopped about 15 miles short. The tail wind I had leaving Dinosaur quickly turned into a strong head wind as I got closer to the lighting storm.

I don't recommend riding a steel bike into a lightening storm, but it work out all right for me. My rain gear preformed well and I didn't get much closer than a 15 count to the lightening. After only a couple hours of riding in the storm it passed and I was able to take off the rain gear and continue in some nice cool temperatures, but the headwind remained.

When I stopped at the Colorado welcome center to find a better route, I asked about the ride up here. The lady told me there were some gentle rolling hills, but nothing substantial. Today was the 3rd hardest climbing day (after the blues and Daniels pass). This makes me even more worried for the mountains the next 2 days!

Battery is dying will post my new route through Colorado tomorrow.

1 comment: